Updated: Jan 30, 2019
Chef: Aanal Kotak
Recipe Servings: 2-3 Persons
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Ingredients for Biryani Rice
1. 1 Cup long grained rice (basmati)
2. 2 Tsp oil
3. Salt to taste
4. 2 Tsp ghee
5. 2 Bay leaf (Tej-patta)
6. 2 Cinnamon stick (Dalchini)
7. 2 Star anise (Chakri phool)
8. 1 Mace (Javitri)
9. 1 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
10. 2 Green cardamom ( Green Elaichi)
11. 3-4 Cloves (Laving)
12. A few strands of saffron (kesar)
13. 1 Tsp rose water (gulab jal)
14. Water as required
Ingredients for Qabooli Chana Mixture
1. ½ Cup kabuli chana
2. A pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
3. Salt to taste
4. 3 Tsp ghee
5. ½ Tsp oil
6. ½ cup chopped onions
7. 1 Tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
8. 1 Tsp red chilli powder
9. 1 Tsp Biryani masala
10. 1 Tsp coriander powder
11. 3 Tbsp whisked curd (dahi)
Ingredients for Barista Mixture
1. ¼ Cup mint leaves (phudina) (finely chopped)
2. ¼ Cup coriander (dhania) (finely chopped)
3. ½ Cup deep-fried onions
4. 5 Slit deep-fried green chillies (chopped)
How to cook Biryani Rice
1. Heat a deep non stick- pan, on a slow flame and add ghee, oil in it then add bay leaf, cinnamon, star anise, mace, black cardamom, green cardamom and cloves and sauté well.
2. Add rice and stir well and cook on a fast flame till rice gets translucent.
3. Now add double portion of water in it, lastly add saffron strands (kesar) and salt and let it cook.
4. Add rose water in Biryani and switch off the flame.
5. Drain cooked rice and transfer to a flat bowl and keep aside.
How to cook Qabooli Chana Mixture
1. Wash and soak kabuli chana in enough water for 5-8 hours, drain and boil it until 6-7 whistles. Drain water and keep aside.
2. Heat oil and ghee in a broad non-stick pan; add ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
3. Add onions and mix them well while stirring continuously.
4. Add Biryani masala, salt, red chilli powder, Coriander powder, and a pinch of turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
5. Lower the flame, add curd mix well and cook for 30 seconds, while stirring continuously.
6. Add boiled kabuli chana and mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
How to prepare Barista Mixture
1. In a bowl take fried onions, chopped coriander, chopped mint leaves and fried green chillies and mix well.
2. Use this mixture to layer the Biryani and also for garnish.
How to Proceed
1. Take a deep non-stick pan or a handi, add half the rice and spread it evenly.
2. Put half the kabuli chana mixture and spread it evenly.
3. Sprinkle half of the Barista mixture evenly over it.
4. Press it to set, add some more rice on the top and repeat the process for other layer if required.
Garnish it with star anise and Barista mixture.
170 views0 comments