MOONG DAL PANIYARAM WITH ROASTED TOMATO DIP
Updated: Feb 23, 2019
Chef: Aanal Kotak
Recipe Servings: 4
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients for Moong Dal Paniyaram
1. 1 Cup whole Green Gram (Moong) (Soaked)
2. ½ Cup rice flour (chana dal)
3. 2 Tbsp Bengal gram
4. 2 Medium sized onions (finely chopped)
5. 5-6 Green chillies (finely chopped)
6. 1.5 Inch long piece ginger (finely chopped)
7. 1 Tsp cumin seed
8. ½ Cup coriander (chopped)
9. Salt as per taste
10. A pinch baking soda
11.1.5 Tsp oil
12.1 Tsp each mustard and cumin seeds
13.1 Tsp curry leaves chopped
A pinch asafoetida
Ingredients for Roasted Tomato Dip
1. 4 Tomatoes (blanched & chopped)
2. 2 Tbsp fresh coriander
3. 2 Tbsp Mixed herbs fresh (parsley, celery, basil, etc.)
4. 2 Tbsp Capsico sauce
5. ½ Tsp Red chilli powder
6. ½ Tsp Garlic paste
7. Salt to taste
8. ½ Cup Curry leaves powder (roasted and finely chopped)
9. 1 Tbsp oil
10. ½ Tsp cumin seeds (Jeera)
11. 1 Tbsp (black & white sesame)
Ingredients for Serving
1. 1-2 Tbsp Shredded Vegetables (cabbage, beet root, onion, carrot, tomato)
How to cook Roasted Tomato Dip
1. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and when colour changes add black and white Sesame, mix well.
2. Add tomatoes, curry leaves powder & cook till almost dry.
3. Add garlic paste, mixed herbs, fresh coriander, Capsico sauce, red chilli powder and salt, mix everything well.
4. Remove in a separate bowl and serve.
How to cook Moong Dal Paniyaram
1. Wash moong thoroughly and soak it in fresh water and leave it aside for 5-6 hours. If you have intended to prepare Moong Dal Paniyaram on Monday soak it on Sunday morning. Soak Chana Dal (Bengal Gram) Separately in a small bowl.
2. Drain out the water from the green gram and grind it along with ginger, cumin seeds, 3 green chillies and salt to get smooth and medium thick batter. It should be little bit thicker than the dosa batter.
3. Take out batter in a bowl and add rice flour, remaining green chillies sliced, finely chopped onions, Coriander, Chana Dal, Baking soda and mix well.
4. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and pinch asafoetida to the batter and mix well.
5. Leave this mixture aside for some time; it should not be left out at room temperature like Idli/dosa batter.
6. Heat the Paniyaram pan, and once its hot drizzle some drops of oil in each dent and pour in One teaspoon of batter in each dent.
7. Cover the Paniyaram pan with a lid and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Now turn the Paniyaram on the other side using a wooden skewer or spoon and again close the lid and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes
9. Once the colour turns to golden brown and crispy remove them from the pan. Repeat this process for the next set of Paniyaram.
10. Serve with Roasted Tomato Dip and shredded vegetables.